Hi everyone! I am doing the very first TV review for Blogger’s World! The show that I’m going to review is Longmire. The series premiered in 2012, on the A&E network and moved to Netflix for it’s fourth season in 2015. The series was developed by John Coveny and Hunt Baldwin, and is based on the Walt Longmire Mysteries series of mystery novels written by best-selling author Craig Johnson.
The central figure of the story is Sheriff Walt Longmire, of fictional Absaroka County, Wyoming, USA. The series opens as Walt is returning to work after his wife’s death. He is also coming up for re-election to the position of sheriff and faces opposition from within his own department. The quiet, brooding sheriff is assisted by his friends and his daughter, Cady, a lawyer, as he investigates major crimes within his jurisdiction. The cases sometimes cross into the Cheyenne Indian Reservation which borders the county. The enmity between the Cheyenne Tribal Police and the sheriff’s department sometimes boils over into open hostility. And the feud is more than just cultural resentment. Sheriff Longmire was responsible for the arrest and conviction of the former tribal police chief for corruption.
As the first season progresses, it becomes apparent that the sheriff has a secret. It turns out he and his best friend, Henry Standing Bear have been involved in something in Denver that has to do with the death of Walt’s wife. By means of flashbacks, the viewer is gradually given clues to the events that unfolded the previous year in Denver, Colorado. (No spoilers!)
The upcoming re-election campaign is complicated when Walt’s deputy, Branch Connally, enters the race to challenge the sheriff. Connally is the son of a local wealthy businessman who feels his son is entitled to the position because of his youth, education and most importantly his family connections. It also comes to light that Connally has a secret backer and the election is being influenced by someone with ulterior motives. The election is a running backdrop for the first three seasons of the series. (Again, no spoilers!)
I just absolutely love this show! It has mystery, intrigue, action, family drama, gorgeous scenery, just a little romance and a hero everyone can root for. All four seasons of the show are currently available on Netflix and it has just been renewed for a fifth season! And thank goodness because season 4 ended with a huge cliff hanger! If you are looking for a new series to watch, I would highly recommend Longmire!
Here is the cast of characters: with thanks to Wikipedia for the list and descriptions!
• Robert Taylor as Walt Longmire: the long-time sheriff of Absaroka County. Laconic and introspective with a strong sense of duty and justice, his character is a throwback to the iconic lone hero of classical Westerns.
• Katee Sackhoff as Victoria “Vic” Moretti: a sheriff’s deputy and former Philadelphia Police Department homicide detective. She recently moved to Wyoming with Sean, her husband, following an incident with her superior officer in Philadelphia.
• Lou Diamond Phillips as Henry Standing Bear: a Cheyenne who is Walt’s best friend and confidant. Their friendship goes back to their early school days together. He is the proprietor of the Red Pony Cafe, a local tavern and restaurant, and an expert tracker.
• Cassidy Freeman as Cady Longmire: Walt’s daughter and an attorney who works for a local law firm.
• Bailey Chase as Branch Connally: an ambitious deputy who comes from a wealthy local family; his uncle was Walt’s predecessor as sheriff, and Branch also hopes to be sheriff one day.
• Adam Bartley as “The Ferg” Ferguson: an awkward but hard-working young deputy hired by Walt as a favor to Ferg’s father. As the series progresses, he is revealed to have eclectic interests that help in his work.
• Zahn McClarnon as Chief Mathias: chief of the Cheyenne reservation’s tribal police